Monday, May 08, 2006

Before, and after



What you're looking at is radishes, with pictures taken yesterday, and two weeks ago. The plants seem to be getting exponentially bigger all the time. I planted them April 4 and hope to harvest them in a few weeks. Then I'll have room to plant some warm weather vegetables, such as cucumbers.
My raised garden plots in the strip between my front yard and the street have been a success so far. No one, not even the squirrels, has disturbed them. Of course, we'll have to see if that's true later in the season when the beds are packed with produce.
I also just planted my tomatoes. Can anyone give me hints on what I can do to give the tomatoes an early season boost?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have found that the best way to give tomato plants a boost is to use a plastic "Wall of Water." The plastic cone is filled with water and helps to warm the microenvironment around the plant and protect it from a potential late frost. We live in the foothills and the cone protects the young tomato seedlings from being damaged by the strong wind gusts we receive this time of the year. Although the cones hold about 2 gallons of water, and are heavy, strong winds can cause them to topple over. For this reason, it is a good idea to place a wood stake or reinforcing rod into the ground, next to the tomato plant, so the plant won't be damaged if the cone should collapse.

Happy Gardening,

Ed Carley

Monday, May 8, 2006 at 10:18:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave,

The wall of waters work well though I find them somewhat unwieldy. I've used just gallon jugs of water around the new plants. Can easily cover them with a blanket if we are going to get a freeze. Not too attractive but I did an experiment one summer with the gallon jugs around my eggplants and those closest to the water were quite a bit larger than the others--all other constants being the same.



Judith Rice-Jones

Monday, May 8, 2006 at 10:48:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home