Thursday, June 01, 2006

Summer: time for hail



Perhaps gardening makes you focus on the negative. Instead of thinking of June as a month of sunny, carefree days, you think of it as afternoons full of potentially flattening hail storms. And that's what happened in many northern parts of El Paso County yesterday.
Eventually in Colorado, you plants are going to get whacked.
I've seen several solutions, including a metal mesh ramada for tomatoes.

Here is another thought from a local gardener.

I have tried several hail mitigation techniques, but the one I'm using now
is to string a 1/2 inch mesh bird netting over the garden in a double
layer. It lets thru sun and rain, but blocks most of the damaging hail.
Perhaps some day I'll have a green house big enough not to have to worry, but
that'll be a while. In the meantime, I'll do what I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home