Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Slugs!

The lettuce patch is where these slimy little guys hang out.
Last year I was afraid to touch the slugs in my garden, but when you are in a war, you get desensitized. Now I go out every morning, collect the newspaper, take it out of its protective plastic bag, then go to my garden, pick slugs like they were strawberries, toss them in the bag, and throw the bag in the garden.
By doing this daily, I've cut my slug damage to minimal, but I notice if I stop for a few days, they come back quick.

I've also been spreading dog hair around the lettuce. It doesn't harm the slugs that are already there, but at least it helps keep new slugs from moving in.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the slugs! I have fought this battle for over 25 years and have not won. I have learned to plant what they do not have an appetite for - sedum, daylilies, barberry, dusty miller, mums, junipers, eunyomous, and poppies. They love salvia, zinnias, and sometimes marigolds.

Wonder if fisherman can use them for bait!!

Thursday, June 21, 2007 at 9:08:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sprinkling salt on the slugs will take care of them.

Friday, June 22, 2007 at 10:07:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Bev said...

Dave. I've finally checked out your blog. Love your column in the Gazette! I can really relate to what you are trying to accomplish. Good luck for a slug-free salad. I have raised beds (4') and sometimes I still get them. Do those devils have wings or what? Hang in there and keep up the good work.

Friday, June 22, 2007 at 4:00:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home