Thursday, March 20, 2008

Potassium?

The first of my monthly garden columns hit the Gazette this morning and I immediately spotted a mistake. Healthy soil, I said, provides lots of nutrients like nitrogen and potassium to plants. Plants do need potassium, but I meant to say phosphurous. I think, as a trail runner, I was getting me dirt confused with me. Anyway, there's a great new book on building healthy soil called The Complete Compost Gardening Guide by Barbara Pleasant and Deborah Martin. It's set up for wetter climes, so doesn't fully address watering your compost, but it's still a great read.

2 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

Dave, you were right the first time. Soil is full of all sorts of nutrients. Glad you like the book! Deb and I spent two years writing it, but really we played with our composts! I like to use a soaker hose threaded through a heap to keep it moist. Figure eights work great.

Barbara

Thursday, March 20, 2008 at 6:15:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Zen said...

Though I've had great success with my now established wildflower beds - and hope to finish out the rock garden I created last year with columbines this year, I have yet to venture into the harsh world of veggie growing at high altitude. Though this may be that year (with the purchase of a small cold frame or greenhouse). We'll see.

Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 5:55:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home