Thursday, May 08, 2008

Tomato tips


There are lots of great tomatoes out there. Experiment and find what you like, but here are four very different varieties I plant every year:
Sweet Baby Girl
Stupice
Champion
Black Brandy wine

How to plant a tomato:
I don't mess with seeds. The growing season is too short. I'd rather pay $5 a plant and let someone else fuss with up bringing. This year I planted my tomatoes May 3. That's well before the average last frost date, but I protect them using walls-o-water. These inexpensive plastic sleeves act like a sweater for your tomatoes, which after all come from the tropics and aren't used to our cold nights. The water in the sleeves warms in the sun then keeps the plant warm all night. It also protects from wind. I recommend them even after the frost, and keep them on until mid June when the plants become too big.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home